The 2020 Grammy award nominations are here and the coveted category Song of the Year has some surprising additions and omissions. Song of the Year differs from Record of the Year as this is a category that not only recognizes the contributions musical artists made on their records but includes songwriters as well. Song of the Year is truly a songwriters’ award and though there are specific songwriting awards given by category, the general Song of the Year can be viewed as the best songwriter across all genres.
There are eight songs nominated and the entire list of songwriters is lengthy. Lady Gaga returns to the category as some of the songs she and Bradley Cooper worked on for “A Star is Born” had different release dates that made them eligible for last year’s Grammy’s as well as this year’s.
Lady Gaga co-wrote the song “Always Remember Us This Way” and leads the nominations for the category. Here are the eight nominees for the 2020 Grammy awards for Song of the Year.
- “Always Remember Us This Way” by Lady Gaga, Natalie Hemby, Hillary Lindsey, and Lori McKenna
- “Bad Guy” by Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell
- “Bring My Flowers Now” by Tanya Tucker, Brandi Carlile, Phil Hanseroth, and Tim Hanseroth
- “Lover” by Taylor Swift
- “Norman F***ing Rockwell by Lana Del Rey and Jack Antonoff
- “Truth Hurts” by Melissa Jefferson (Lizzo), Steven Cheung, Eric Frederic, and Jesse Saint John
- “Someone You Loved” by Lewis Capaldi, Tom Barnes, Pete Kelleher, Benjamin Kohn, and Sam Roman
- “Hard Place” by H.E.R., Ruby Amanfu, Sam Ashworth, D. Arcelious Harris, and Rodney Jerkins
You may see a list of the nominees for Song of the Year below.
— Recording Academy / GRAMMYs (@RecordingAcad) November 20, 2019
Lizzo and Billie Eilish find themselves with multiple nominations and in the lead with the most for the 62nd Grammy Awards. This proves to be a huge accomplishment for Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas O’Connell who have taken the music industry by storm. In addition to Billie’s multiple nominations, including best new artist, she is the youngest person in history to be nominated for top Grammy awards, as she is only 17-years-old.
What do you think of the nominees? Do you have a favorite or was there someone you thought should have been nominated but wasn’t?