After the death of the legendary rock performer, Tom Petty, Tom’s daughter, Annakim, took to social media to insist that he was not a drug addict. In an Instagram post, Annakim, 35, said her dad overcame tremendous adversity and psychological pain in his life.
She stated that Tom fought a drug addiction throughout his career but ultimately overcame it in the end. However, following his untimely death due to an accidental overdose, fans speculated that he was still on the wagon.
Annakim revealed her father was touring with a broken hip and was taking many medications to deal with his various ailments. His tenacious touring schedule and creative energy were taxing on his health, but Tom persisted anyway.
Tom’s hip surgery caused him incredible pain, far “beyond a normal surgery.” As you may know, Celebrity Insider reported earlier that the 66-year-old iconic musician passed away at the age of 66.
And while it is alleged that the overdose was accidental, the sheer amount of drugs in his system at once has led many to speculate. Some fans on social media have asked if it was necessary for him to be taking three types of fentanyl at once.
According to the coroner’s report, Petty died from “multi-system organ failure” and the medical professional found fentanyl, temazepam, oxycodone, alprazolam, citalopram, despropionyl fentanyl, and acetyl fentanyl in his bloodstream.
Additionally, the Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers frontman was suffering from two different conditions, emphysema, and coronary artery atherosclerosis.
Petty’s family wrote in a statement that Tom died of an accidental overdose “as a result of taking a variety of medications.” Tom Petty’s death is similar to that of the legendary performer, Prince, who died due to pharmaceutical drugs.