According to Detroit News, at the age of 97-years-old, the royal family member, Prince Philip, was forced to give up his driver’s license after he was involved in a car crash that left two women badly hurt claims the Buckingham Palace on Saturday. The prosecutors in the United Kingdom say they haven’t decided as to whether they’ll press charges against him or not.
In a statement, the Palace spokesperson confirmed that the Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to surrender his permit to drive a vehicle in the British Islands.
As it was revealed previously, on the 17th of January, Philip was driving a luxury vehicle, a Land Rover, near the royal family’s Sandringham home in the eastern portion of England when he slammed into another car.
When the authorities arrived at the scene, they had to help him out of the vehicle. He wasn’t injured, however. The other women in the vehicle were hurt, but not seriously. A baby boy’s safety was jeopardized but went unharmed too.
View this post on Instagram
UPDATE: 'Is everyone else alright?' How 'very brave' but 'shaken' Prince Philip, 97, 'went to check on mother and her baby' after he was pulled through roof of his Land Rover after he was 'dazzled by sun' and crashed into Kia. Prince Philip is 'conscious but very shocked and shaken' after crashing his Land Rover near Sandringham yesterday afternoon. The Duke is unhurt and with the Queen at Sandringham following the dramatic crash after he pulled out on to A149 in Norfolk. Two women with a nine-month-old baby in back of their Kia smashed into the side of his armoured Land Rover. All three were rushed to hospital – one suffered a broken arm, the other injured her knee but baby unharmed. Philip was pulled from the wreckage via sunroof and Duke was 'conscious' but 'very shaken and shocked'. The 97 year old does have an up to date driving license. In UK there is no age limit on drivers but every 3 years they must update license agency with a medical note. The Duke was seen by a doctor at his medical facilities on the Sandringham Estate as a precaution but was given the all clear. However, he will be closely monitored for 48 hours to ensure he has no internal injuries. The Duke of Edinburgh and the female driver were breathalysed and both gave negative readings. The crash happened on a stretch of the single carriageway road which has a 60mph limit and is a notorious accident spot. Astonishingly, the site is just 30 miles from where the Duke was involved in another crash 23 years ago, which wrote off a Mercedes and injured another motorist. There is still some confusion about where his royal protection officers were. Reports that he was in car on his own. However people arrived on scene very quickly. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 #britishroyals #britishroyalfamily #royalfamily #sandringham #queenelizabeth #princephilip #princephillip #dukeofedinburgh
Thankfully, the drivers of both vehicles were given alcohol tests and they passed with flying colors. The royal family member was caught behind the wheel, however, just two days later without a safety belt, sparking somewhat of a backlash.
This past Saturday, a spokesperson from the Norfolk Police said that Philip had voluntarily agreed to give up his right to drive. The prosecutors of the state will decide whether they’ll hold him legally culpable and vulnerable to charges. The Crown Prosecution Service revealed in a statement that they would carefully consider all of the details.
In a written apology letter, Philip said he was distracted by the rays of the sun when he drove on to a street near Northern London. When speaking with Emma Fairweather, one of the women in the crash who broke her wrist, Prince Philip said that he was very sorry for what happened.
There is currently no age limit for people who drive vehicles in Britain, however, senior citizens are required to renew their licenses every three years as well as inform authorities about any new medical or safety concerns.