Prince Harry has already called out the British tabloids for their “ruthless” treatment of his wife, Meghan Markle, and now the royal is taking some UK media outlets to court. Buckingham Palace has confirmed that the Duke of Sussex filed claims against News UK (owner of The Sun) and MGN (former owner of The Mirror) in the High Court over their alleged voicemail hacking.
Earlier this week, on the final day of his African tour, Prince Harry made an emotional statement about the constant “bullying” of Markle by the British tabloid press after taking legal action against the Mail on Sunday.
View this post on Instagram
Prince Harry has launched a highly personal attack on the British tabloid press over its treatment of his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. He wrote that he could no longer be a “silent witness to her private suffering” and compared her treatment to coverage of his mother, Princess Diana. Follow the link in bio to read his full statement and find out why Meghan is suing the Mail on Sunday.
“Unfortunately, my wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences — a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son,” Harry said.
The Duke added that he and his wife have “put on a brave face” while they are out in public, but he can’t begin to describe the pain they have endured.
According to People Magazine, a legal spokesperson from Schillings – who represents the Duchess of Sussex – said that they initiated their legal proceedings against the Mail on Sunday and Associated Newspapers, the parent company, over “intrusive and unlawful publication” of a private letter written by Markle.
The spokesperson said that publishing the letter is part of a campaign from the media group to publish false and deliberately derogatory stories about Harry and Meghan. The royal couple decided to issue proceedings to “redress this breach of privacy, infringement of copyright, and the aforementioned media agenda” because Associated Newspapers refused to resolve the issue in a satisfactory way.
View this post on Instagram
In Tembisa, Johannesburg, today The Duke and Duchess visited to meet young entrepreneurs at the YES hub – a hive for creativity and social enterprise. Their visit was an amazing tour of the ingenuity and opportunity – seeing businesses that varied from food to essential sanitary products for local women. During their visit, they were able to sample food from ‘Chef Mish’ – a local masterchef winner – which he makes at the site as part of his catering business and cafe. They then joined YES community members to take part in training and tests that will help them gain skills and find work. On the third stop today, entrepreneur Moss showed The Duke and Duchess the organic produce he's growing in the township with aquaponics – supplying local restaurants. And finally, The Duke and Duchess met the women behind the amazing Blossom Care Solutions – who are making 80,000 sanitary pads every month for women in their community. They are 100% compostable, and provide an essential low-cost product for women and girls. The Duchess has long campaigned on this issue and wrote in Time magazine in 2017, saying: “In communities all over the globe, young girls’ potential is being squandered because we are too shy to talk about the most natural thing in the world. To that I say: we need to push the conversation, mobilize policy making surrounding menstrual health initiatives, support organizations who foster girls’ education from the ground up, and within our own homes, we need to rise above our puritanical bashfulness when it comes to talking about menstruation.” • See our previous post to see The Dukes speech #RoyalVisitSouthAfrica Photo ©️ PA images
In his statement, Harry said that he couldn’t stand back and do nothing because that would be contrary to everything he and Markle believe in, and because he has been a “silent witness to her private suffering” for too long.
Prince Harry also said he and Meghan Markle will always seek to challenge injustice and to speak for people who feel unheard. He explained that they are fortunate to be in a position that gives them both amazing opportunities, and they will do everything they can to help build a better world.