Page Six reported today that Meghan Markle suffered a blow in a court of law regarding her dispute with the British newspaper. As it was previously reported, The Daily Mail published her personal letter to Thomas Markle, her father, who purportedly was the one to give it to the outlet.
Followers of the case know that the Deal or No Deal alum filed a suit against The Daily Mail’s owners for “breach of privacy,” however, on Friday, a judge at London’s High Court ruled in favor of the newspaper. Meghan accused them of creating a personal quagmire between herself and Thomas, 75.
A judge ruled today that the allegations that the newspaper was responsible for the deterioration of her and her father’s relationship should be thrown out. Justice Mark Warby permitted the removal of the allegation that the paper acted “dishonestly” when they purposely left out certain sections of the letter.
Meghan and her legal team accused Associated Newspaper of “cherry-picking” particular sections of the letter to create a more sensationalist and damaging impression. Moreover, the judge threw out allegations that the Associated Newspaper wanted to publish only negative stories about her.
View this post on Instagram
⠀ Our gorgeous duchess today talking to a young women from @smartworkscharity I added a quote that she once said before becoming a duchess and one of my favourites. 💞⠀ .⠀⠀⠀ .⠀⠀⠀ .⠀⠀⠀ .⠀ ⠀⠀ #weloveyoumeghan #meghanmarkle #duchessofsussex #britishroyals #royals #princeharry #meghanandharry
Reportedly, the legal battle concerns the handwritten letter from Meghan to her father just three months after her wedding. She wrote it in August 2018. It came not long after her father revealed he couldn’t walk her down the aisle due to a heart attack.
The Suits alum claims Associated Newspaper violated her rights on a number of fronts, including copyright, data protection rights, and the breach of privacy. Justice Warby ruled that the allegations were not relevant to her claims.
According to Page Six, Associated Newspaper will now request the former British royalty member to pay around $63,000 US. Meghan has said in the past that if she wins the case, she’ll donate the proceeds to an anti-bullying charity.
Fans of the royal family know Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have been fighting with the press for the last two years. It first began to heat up around the same time as she married Harry back in May 2018.