Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are taking Associated Newspapers – the owner of The Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday – to court over some of the rumors their properties have published about the couple. And, in a recent court filing, the Duchess of Sussex addressed some of those stories, including her lavish baby shower in New York City, the royal couple’s renovated Frogmore Cottage in Windsor, and Markle’s fractured relationship with her father.
According to People Magazine, Harry and Meghan did invest a lot of time and money into their home renovations, and they added a custom kitchen, a green-energy center, and more landscaping for privacy. However, in the court filing from Meghan’s legal team, the renovations did not include a reported $6,500 copper bathtub, a self-contained yoga studio, or a tennis court. And, they didn’t spend $650,000 on aircraft soundproofing, and there isn’t a “guest wing” for Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland.
View this post on Instagram
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex joined hundreds of veterans and their families at the 91st Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey, to honour and remember those who lost their lives in service of their country. Their Royal Highnesses each planted a Cross of Remembrance, paying respect to those who have served in our Armed Forces. They were then honoured to spend time meeting with veterans and family members from all areas of the Armed forces – from those who have served in past campaigns to more recent conflicts. This is the seventh time The Duke has attended the Field of Remembrance – having previously accompanied The Duke of Edinburgh for several years. The Duchess of Sussex was grateful to be able to join her husband on this important day and to personally recognise those who have served. #remembrance #lestweforget
The court documents also addressed the fact that the newspapers published parts of a private letter that Meghan wrote to her dad, and Meghan made it clear that they published the letter without her consent. And, the Duchess also claims that they edited the letter, which gave readers a false impression about Meghan’s relationship with her dad.
“The omitted or suppressed parts of the letter amount to almost half of the actual contents,” read the court documents. “The omitted parts demonstrate the claimant’s care for her father and others, as well as her concern about the UK tabloid media exploiting her father.”
Meghan’s attorneys made it clear that she is concerned about her father’s health, and she has a “long history of looking after” his welfare. Meghan also cleared things up about what happened leading up to her wedding, saying she did call him the day before to see if he was able to come, and she didn’t ignore him or argue with him after he decided not to attend.
View this post on Instagram
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are pleased to announce they have named their first born child: Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor This afternoon Their Royal Highnesses introduced Her Majesty The Queen to her eighth great-grandchild at Windsor Castle. The Duke of Edinburgh and The Duchess’ mother were also present for this special occasion. Photo credit: Chris Allerton ©️SussexRoyal
As for her baby shower, Meghan said she was offended by the outlet’s claims that she didn’t invite her mother to her shower, and the reporting was “untrue” because she did invite Ragland, but she wasn’t able to attend because of work commitments. She also claimed that the guests at her shower weren’t a bunch of new celebrity friends.
“The baby shower (which actually cost a tiny fraction of the $300k falsely stated in the article) was organized and hosted by one of her best friends from university,” says the documents. “The fifteen guests who attended the shower were close friends and included long-term friendships some of which had existed for over 20 years.”
The case is ongoing, and The Mail on Sunday says that they will fight “with vigor.”