Megan Thee Stallion Says She Didn't Want To Reveal Tory Lanez Story Because She Feared Being Victim Blamed
Megan Thee Stallion is coming out once again to address what happened to her earlier this year. Hot New Hip Hop reported this week that Megan Thee Stallion, who just went to number one on the Billboard charts following the success of her single, "Savage," has become one of the most talked-about stars in recent memory, other than Cardi B and Billie Eilish.
Reportedly, Megan has come under fire over the past few months by social media users who don't buy into her story regarding Tory Lanez, who supposedly fired gunshots at her following a brutal argument in an SUV.
When Megan first came out with her narrative, Hot New Hip Hop claims, social media users cast doubt on it and assumed there was another side to the story. In an op-ed written to The New York Times, not long after her Saturday Night Live appearence, the rapper touched on how she feels about the state of black women in North American society.
As for what she said about the shooting, Megan claims she was the "victim of an act of violence by a man," and was "shot twice" as she walked away from him. Megan also confirmed that she and Tory were not dating at the time of the incident.
The star went on to write in her op-ed that she didn't want to come out with her tale because she feared mockery and disbelief. She didn't want people to question her story, as if she "played a role" in what happened.
The star went on to reflect on the abuse that many women in society face. Megan says women are the victims of violence not because they're in a relationship with a man, but because men think of them as sexual objects.
The "Savage" rapper claims black women are one of the most marginalized groups in society, and she says whenever they stand up for themselves or each other, they're stereotyped as "angry" or "violent."
Tory Lanez has since been charged with assault and possession of a firearm, and he's due to go on trial later this month.