Jussie Smollett's Lawyers Say He Refuses To Meet With The Police Amid A Reported 'Shift' In His Hate Crime Investigation!
Amid reports that he staged the alleged hate crime against him to stay part of the Empire cast, Jussie Smollett is apparently not planning on meeting with the police, despite the investigation supposedly ‘shifting’ direction - and not in his favor! The actor’s legal team released a new statement via ET; here’s what they had to say!
Attorneys Todd S. Pugh and Victor P. Henderson told the news outlet that ‘There are no plans for Jussie Smollett to meet with Chicago police today [Monday, February 18]. Any news reports suggesting otherwise are inaccurate. Smollett's attorneys will keep an active dialogue going with Chicago police on his behalf. We have no further comment today.’
The new statement comes after a CBS News report claiming that the actor’s two suspected attackers are not only familiar with Smollett, they supposedly told the police he ‘paid them to participate in the alleged attack.’
The actor has denied this via his legal team, making it clear that he was ‘angry and disappointed’ over being ‘further victimized.’
Furthermore, the two suspects have already been released with no charges as confirmed on Twitter by Anthony Guglielmi, Chief Communications Officer for Chicago Police.
Guglielmi also noted that the ‘detectives have additional investigative work to complete.’
Over the weekend, the man also talked to ET, telling the website that ‘We can confirm the information received from the two individuals questioned earlier in the Empire case has shifted the trajectory of the investigation. We have reached out to the Empire cast member's attorney to request a follow-up interview.’
That being said, it turns out that, according to Smollett’s lawyers, the actor has refused to meet up with the police for the said interview.