Ezra Miller is not afraid to talk about Johnny Depp’s casting in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. While the latest chapter in the Harry Potter franchise enters opening weekend, the 26-year-old revealed that none of the cast members were consulted when producers brought back Depp for the part of Gellert Grindelwald.
“None of us were consulted,” Miller shared. “None of us knew.”
Miller starred as Credence Barebone in the first film, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. In The Crimes of Grindelwald (SPOILER ALERT) it is revealed that he survived the first film and will play a major role moving forward. Depp found himself in the middle of a huge controversy after his ex-wife, Amber Heard, said that he physically abused her two years ago.
— Hollywood Reporter (@THR) November 18, 2018
Depp has since denied the allegations, and even Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling came out and defended the move to bring Depp back in the second film.
According to Us Weekly, Rowling revealed that producers did not learn about the abuse scandal until after Depp had started working on the first movie. Once they heard about the reports, producers reached out to learn more about what really happened.
We have no idea what they discovered, but Rowling assured fans that she fully backs the decision to keep Depp on board. She also said that she was “genuinely happy” for Deep’s involvement in the franchise.
Although a lot of fans spoke out against the decision to keep Depp, the film is expected to be a major success in the box office. In fact, experts agree that the controversy surrounding Depp is not likely to deter Harry Potter fans from watching the movie and making it another hit for Rowling.
That said, producers have been keeping Depp away from most of the promotional tour the past few weeks. The only exception was the red carpet premiere in London last week, which probably helps avoid drumming up more controversy.
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald premieres Friday in theaters everywhere.