According to Us Weekly, Mr. Ed Westwick, the Gossip Girl alum, won’t face charges of rape. US Weekly obtained the documents from the District Attorney’s Office of Los Angeles which stated the prosecutors refused to press charges due to a lack of evidence.
The report states that the investigators weren’t able to get in contact with one of the victims, thus, as a result, they had to close the case down entirely.
Shortly after the news came out, the 31-year-old’s attorney, Blair Berk, released a statement updating Ed’s situation. Beck said that the evidence right from the start showed the allegations were untrue, and it was a shame that it took as long as it did to clear his name.
Unfortunately, for Mr. Westwick, much of the damage has already been done, other than avoiding prison time. His lawyer said he “hopes those who make quick judgments” are more discerning with how they go about throwing around allegations next time.
Additionally, Ed’s girlfriend, Jessica Serfaty, shared her thoughts in an Instagram post on Friday. The 27-year-old said, “very happy for this man.” She said that “justice was served.”
It was reported last year that Kristina Cohen accused Ed of raping her in a post in November 2017. However, the British actor defended himself in a Twitter post.
Ed said, “I do now know this woman,” in his post, and also added that he has never forced himself on any woman. After Cohen made her charges, another two women came forward, Aurelie Wynn, and Rachel Eck.
And another accuser came forward in March 2018 named Haley Freedman. Her lawyer said she would be filing a police report against Ed that same week.
After the allegations were made by the relevant women, Ed deleted all social media posts addressing them. Investigators said at the time that his lawyer advised him not to use social media at all.
Nonetheless, it was too late for Westwick, as he lost his BBC series, Ordeal By Innocence in January after the misconduct allegations arose.