Artem Chigvintsev Says Being Fired From Dancing With The Stars Is 'A Punch In The Stomach' -- Cut Dancer Hasn't Been Able To Work Since March!
Artem Chigvintsev has spent about a decade of his life on Dancing With the Stars. Last week, it was announced that he will not be a professional on the upcoming season and it's no surprise that the choreographer didn't take the news lightly.
Artem found out merely days before the official announcement was made. It was especially upsetting considering that he spoke multiple times with producers leading up to the new season news.
He opened up on the Bellas Podcast about the situation.
'There was never a thought in my mind that I’m not going to be doing it. There’s always a chance, as a pro, you might be doing some performances on the show and there’s still an involvement in some sort. But getting this call, [hearing] ‘There’s gonna be no involvement in the show from now on,’ it’s like going through a breakup after 10 years.'
He explained that he predicted he may get a spot in the troupe instead of a solo position but it never occurred to him that he would be cut completely. After his brother asked about the part he will be playing in the upcoming installment, Chigvintsev called producers who told them they would be in contact by the end of the day on August 16 -- at 8 p.m he found out his fate.
'I dedicated 10 years of my life to that company and being let go a few days before the announcement, that’s, like, a punch in the stomach really.'
His girlfriend Nikki Bella chimed in to reveal just how unfair the process was.
'They’ve had these dancers on hold since March. They don’t give them compensation for it. They’ve been all unemployed since March. … That made me really upset because how do you put people on hold and then cut them last minute?'
Artem claimed that he would no longer let anyone else decide his fate.