There has been a lot of controversy surrounding Thomas Ravenel’s sudden exit from Southern Charm. Amid allegations of sexual misconduct, Ravenel claims that he simply quit the show to save his reputation. His Southern Charm co-stars, however, say they forced Bravo to fire Ravenel in the wake of his sexual assault scandal. Which side is right?
Last week, Ravenel announced his departure on Twitter, claiming that he quit because the show “took advantage” of him. Ravenel has since deleted the tweet and has not made any further comments.
I wil miss your drama Thomas, I hope your not guilty, but if you are I hope you do your time. ‘Southern Charm’ Star Thomas Ravenel Claims Kathryn Dennis Lied Amid Rumors He Was Fired https://t.co/TIwvo0LJxQ
— Grace Wisdom (@Debi5001) August 21, 2018
This past spring, Ravenel was accused by two women of sexual harassment. The first woman to come forward was Debbie Holloway, who claims that Ravenel assaulted her after she met the reality star on Tinder in the fall of 2015. Holloway’s story inspired Ravenel’s former nanny, Dawn, to reveal how she too was assaulted by the Southern Charm star.
Dawn claims that Ravenel made sexual advances towards her while she was watching his kids inside his own home. Police are currently investigating the assault and have yet to release their findings.
The cast of Southern Charm reportedly distanced themselves from Ravenel after they learned about the charges. An inside source told People that Ravenel’s co-stars were also disgusted by the way he treated Kathryn Dennis, his ex-wife, and his former girlfriend, Ashley Jacobs, on the show.
The source says that the stars of Southern Charm stars talked with producers and pretty much forced them to give Ravenel the boot.
Bravo has not commented on Ravenel’s exit. Although he claims to have quit the show on his own accord, another source close to production says that network executives fired him. The insider revealed that Ravenel was let go shortly after filming ended, which is one reason he did not make it to the reunion.
“The production company decided to let Thomas go,” the source dished. “They made the decision to fire him before filming wrapped.”
Well whaddya know. Looks like #thomasravenel paid for #HiAshley to get a new PR team. Or someone is salty she isn't on #SouthernCharm next season. @KathrynDennis we got your back, queen! Lies and more lies pic.twitter.com/lwauwK8hA6
— Barbs (@Barbaraem77) August 22, 2018
The insider went on to explain how Bravo almost never allows their employees to exit a show voluntarily. The network usually signs people to drawn out contracts to prevent them from suddenly leaving. In most cases, only the network and the production company has the power to fire their stars.
Thomas Ravenel has not commented on the latest rumors surrounding his departure. Most of his co-stars have cut off contact, with the exception of J.D. Madison and Whitney Sudler-Smith. Dennis, of course, also remains in contact but only to talk about their children, of whom they share custody.
Southern Charm will return with all-new episodes in 2019.