Tarana Burke, known for founding the beginning stages of the #MeToo movement, said to E! News that Ryan Seacrest should not attend this year’s Oscars. While Ryan typically makes appearances at the ceremony, and even reports on them, this year is markedly different because of the allegations of sexual misconduct against him.
A woman who worked for him in the past, his stylist, accused Ryan of attempting to seduce her on several occasions and grabbing her inappropriately.
Celebrity Insider reported earlier that Jennifer Lawrence spoke with Howard Stern on his Sirius XM radio show about the charges and admitted she doesn’t know if she would talk to him for an interview.
When speaking with reporters from Variety, Tarana Burke touched on the issue and said, bluntly, “they really shouldn’t send him to the Oscars.”
Burke claimed, “we shouldn’t have to make those choices of, ‘Do we or don’t we?'” As for other organizations on the red carpet, the Access Hollywood producer, Rob Silverstein, allegedly requested some of his journalists to ask the stars if they would speak with Ryan.
Some other entertainers have touched on the issue including Bellamy Young, who vehemently stated Ryan should not be allowed to attend the Oscars, especially as a reporter.
The Hollywood Reporter stated on Sunday that E! would be delaying their broadcast by thirty seconds to avoid any potentially awkward moments.
For further background on the charges, Ryan’s former stylist, Suzie Hardy, alleged that Seacrest attempted to shove her head into his crotch and also hugged her in his underwear several times. The woman also claims the host grabbed her buttocks so hard it left a “welt.”
However, as Ryan noted, a third-party organization investigated the charges and concluded the American Idol alum was innocent. In other words, they stated, “there wasn’t sufficient evidence” to charge him.