Nicole Kidman is putting her money where her mouth is. On Monday, Human Rights Day, which also happens to be the birthday of her late father, Dr. Antony Kidman, the Academy Award-winner donated approximately half-a-million dollars to the UN’s Trust Fund to End Violence Against Women.
According to Yahoo.com, first reported by The News-Herald, the 51-year-old actress said she has met survivors of some of the world’s most “unspeakable violence.”
Nicole, in her statement, referred to the success of the UN Trust Fund, saying that she has seen people survive due, in part, to their efforts. Kidman went on to say that she is attempting to “amplify” the voices of young women in the media.
Nicole appeared to have made the donation to her late father, who passed away in September 2014. She wrote in her Instagram caption that it would’ve been her father’s 80th birthday had he lived.
Nicole’s big announcement comes just a few days after she was nominated for a Golden Globe due to her part as a Los Angeles cop in the upcoming thriller movie, Destroyer.
As most know, Nicole has been very active in the women’s rights movement since the get-go. Previously, Kidman spoke about the way in which actresses such as Meryl Streep, helped out the succeeding generations of women.
As an aging actress, the jobs grow increasingly scarce, and that’s something Nicole is hoping can change in the next decades. Other performers to speak on this issue includes Penelope Cruz, who has said that such questions regarding her age in Hollywood should almost be disregarded. Cruz suggested there was no reason for women to face such questions anymore.
One of the main purposes of the Time’s Up movement was to bring more diversity and inclusion to Hollywood productions so that people of color and women have more of a chance to star in movies and television shows. That’s an issue Nicole has also tackled, saying in the past that it’s imperative to see different interpretations of reality play out on screen.