After five women accused James Franco of sexual misconduct, the actor didn’t show up during the 2018 Critics’ Choice Awards to accept the award for Best Actor. Because James wasn’t present, Walton Goggins took it on his behalf because “James couldn’t be here.”
Around the time Franco was supposed to accept several awards including at the Golden Globes, actresses like Ally Sheedy uploaded cryptic tweets about him which stirred the pot and led to other women coming out about instances of supposed abuse related to “power imbalances.”
In response to the initial accusations, while speaking with Seth Meyers in an interview on Wednesday night, James said he saw the tweets and didn’t respond because he didn’t know what she was talking about.
However, in a response that was carefully crafted for the sake of PR, James stated he supports women coming out to share their stories of abuse. The Planet Of The Apes actor said, “they need to be a part of this conversation” and he wants to help.
Additionally, James revealed that he and Sheedy had a great relationship and he didn’t understand why she made those tweets about him. The Best Actor winner said, “she took the tweet down. I don’t know. I don’t.”
Either way, it was probably the correct decision for James not to attend the ceremony considering the rising tide against him. There was no doubt that the event would’ve been incredibly awkward.
The LA times revealed a story seventeen hours ago detailing instances of alleged misconduct including stories of him “sexually exploiting” students at his film school which shut down abruptly.
This comes on the heels of the #MeToo movement where women have encouraged to speak out against abuse in Hollywood and other industries. The cause was kicked off primarily by Harvey Weinstein and the New York Times’ report detailing his alleged transgressions. Since then, a wave of accusations has rocked the mainstream media.