After a period of three hours, the federal jury made up of six women and 2 men have found on Wednesday that Derrick Rose, who is the guard for New York Knicks, is not liable to civil offenses and sexual battery as he was initially accused. The 28-year-old player will not have to pay his accuser money at all. The Jane Doe who accused him of sexual violence had previously requested $21.5 million for this case.
In this case, the persuasion weighed a lot. The jurors who decided in this case could have imposed the liability only if they had found that Doe’s story of the assault was more plausible than the story offered by Rose and other defendants, namely Randall Hampton and Ryan Allen, which was not the case here.
Doe claimed that Rose, with whom she had a relationship before, broke into her house together with Hampton and Allen back in August 2013. According to her, they gang raped her when she was intoxicated and could not give her consent. Many people said that her account was indeed chilling and showed the three men as sexual beasts.
At the same time, Rose claimed that she was sober enough to give her consent, which they gained both through her conduct and from her texts. Moreover, he said that she aggressively asked him to have sex with her. His attorneys also brought as proof some text messages which she had sent him the day after which referred to giving back some taxi money and other normal topics which wouldn’t have been raised if she had indeed been raped on the night before.
In the end, Doe herself admitted that he embellished facts here and there, and that their relationship was much less substantial than she had initially claimed, which helped Rose get out of the scandal.